Today we will explore the steps required to run an Optimism node, including Optimism node requirements, enabling you to interact with the OP network.
Alternatively, in this article, we are going to provide you with the easiest way of accessing an Optimism full node and Optimism explorer with a reliable blockchain-as-a-service provider NOWNodes.
So, whether you’re a blockchain developer, crypto business owner, or enthusiast, let’s dive into the world of Optimism nodes. Learn how to get started and easily access an Optimism full node and Optimism explorer through an Optimism API key with NOWNodes.
Access an Optimism Node with NOWNodes
Accessing an Optimism full node and Optimism explorer with NOWNodes is a simple process that allows developers to interact with the OP network. NOWNodes is a blockchain-as-a-service provider that offers access to more than 82 blockchain full nodes, including Optimism RPC node, Bitcoin RPC node, Ethereum RPC node, and more. Look for all the available nodes and endpoints here.
By leveraging NOWNodes’ Optimism API key, developers can connect to the shared OP network node provided by NOWNodes. Moreover, crypto developers can use this API key to interact with other blockchains.
The NOWNodes provides Optimism explorer which is a tool that allows you to explore and monitor activities happening on the Optimism mainnet network. With the NOWNodes Optimism explorer endpoint, you can track transactions, view account balances, and more.
Developers can rely on NOWNodes’ infrastructure to manage the operations related to the RPC node, lowering maintenance costs and improving reliability. This eliminates the need for running and maintaining their RPC nodes, which can be time-consuming, difficult to manage, and energy-intensive.
To access an Optimism RPC node you can follow these simple steps:
2. Continue with choosing a tariff plan. There are different plans that fit any web3 needs (including a free plan).
3. The next step is to choose the desired blockchains to access. By utilizing a free plan you will be provided with the option to choose 5 blockchain networks. If you are looking for the Optimism mainnet, just navigate downwards and click on the button located in front of the section labeled “Optimism” on the page.
4. On the “DASHBOARD” page find the “ADD API KEY” button. Here, you can generate an Optimism API key.
5. Finally, use the methods on the “DOCS” page to connect to the Optimism full node and interact with the Optimism mainnet network. Use the Optimism explorer endpoint to monitor your data.
Now, you can use the Optimism API key to access the Optimism full node. You can make HTTP requests to the Optimism network with the provided RPC endpoint. Make sure to include your Optimism API key in the headers of your HTTP requests.
NOWNodes allows you to quickly and easily connect several full nodes in one place without having to go through the KYC (Know Your Customer) procedure. With NOWNodes developers can save time and effort to focus on scaling and developing their crypto businesses.
Moreover, if you have your own crypto infrastructure, NOWNodes can serve you as a reliable backup infrastructure. By following high service quality standards (SQS) the node provider offers the clients to enjoy the scalability for any large tasks.
So that easily you can access an Optimism full node and Optimism explorer with NOWNodes. Remember to refer to the NOWNodes documentation for more details on the available endpoints and Optimism API requests.
Now, if you still want to run an Optimism node by yourself and you are ready to spend resources on maintaining your own infrastructure, let’s dive into our step-by-step guide and learn Optimism node requirements and running process.
Run an Optimism Node by Yourself
Running Optimism nodes by yourself is a challenging way of accessing an Optimism mainnet due to the technical expertise required, the ongoing maintenance and monitoring, the resource-intensive nature of the task, and the responsibility for security and reliability.
You can run an Optimism node by building the Optimism Monorepo and op-geth and op-node. We will guide you through this process, but before we will explore Optimism node requirements.
Before diving into the running process, make sure your hardware meets the minimum Optimism node requirements. You will need a computer with at least 16GB+ of RAM and an SSD drive with at least 500 GB free. Also, you need to be provided with a stable internet connection. Make sure you’ve met all the Optimism node requirements.
Now let’s dive into the non-docker Optimism nodes running process.
Run an Optimism Node
If you’ve chosen a challenging way to run an Optimism full node by yourself, follow these steps.
To get started with Optimism, follow these steps:
- First of all, build the Optimism Monorepo. To do this, clone the Monorepo with the command:
Install the required modules with this command:
Build the packages inside the Optimism Monorepo:
- The next step is to clone
op-geth. To do this, run the command:
As you’ve cloned the
- Further, download the appropriate data directory snapshot for
op-geth(OP Mainnet or OP Goerli).
- To set up and populate the data directory in
op-geth, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the
- Create a new directory called
- Move into the
- Extract the contents of the *
bedrock.tarfile into the current directory:
tar xvf ~/*bedrock.tar
- Generate a shared secret using
- Go back to the
- Use openssl to generate a random hex string of length 32:
openssl rand -hex 32 > jwt.txt
- Copy the
jwt.txtfile to the
cp jwt.txt ~/optimism/op-node
So now you can start your node with the commands:
Remember, before you start with Optimism nodes, it’s important to synchronize with the OP network. Depending on the size of the blockchain and the speed of your internet connection, this step may take a considerable amount of time.
Running Optimism nodes is a challenging experience, but this guide will help you set up and build the necessary components for working with the Optimism mainnet network. Moreover, you can explore some best practices for running successful Optimism nodes.
Best Practices for Running a Successful Optimism Node
Running a successful node requires careful planning, adequate resources, and ongoing monitoring and maintenance. Here are some key recommendations:
- Stay Up to Date: Regularly update your Optimism full node software to the latest version to benefit from bug fixes, performance improvements, and new features. Staying up to date ensures optimal functionality and security.
- Maintain a Stable and Reliable Internet Connection: A strong internet connection is essential for ensuring that the node can communicate with other nodes on the OP network and process transactions promptly. Regularly check the health and performance of your Optimism full node, monitoring OP network activity, and addressing any issues or errors that may occur.
- Backup your Data: Regularly back up your node’s data, including the OP network history and configuration files. This will help you recover in case of data loss or corruption.
- Join the Community: Engage with the Optimism community, join forums, and participate in discussions. This will provide valuable insights, tips, and support from experienced node operators.
By following these best practices, you can ensure that their Optimism nodes are running efficiently and contributing to the overall success of the Optimism mainnet network.
By following this step-by-step guide, you now know Optimism node requirements and tools to run an Optimism node. Remember to stay connected with the community, keep your Optimism nodes up to date, and continuously optimize their performance. Moreover, regularly review and update your security measures to stay protected against emerging threats.
Alternatively, you can connect to the Optimism full node with NOWNodes and unlock the full potential of web3 development. Explore more on Twitter!GET ACCESS TO OPTIMISM
CRYPTO CONTRIBUTOR, CONTENT CREATOR, INVESTOR & FOUNDER OF MT AGENCY.
I have written guides and educational content on thousands of cryptocurrencies and financial services and conducted various types of analysis, including price forecasts and technical analyses of blockchain projects.